Internship Kitchen - Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam
Internship Kitchen - Waldorf Astoria AmsterdamN.o.t.k.
|Uren per week||:||33 - 40 uur|
Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam opened its doors on May 1st 2014.
Inspired by timeless Dutch history, Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam brings the legendary True Waldorf Service to a storied and unforgettable destination. Once wealthy patrician houses built during the Golden Age, Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam is situated on the Herengracht, enjoying a prime location in the city's most beautiful and oldest canal setting.
All 93 elegant spacious rooms and suites offer views over the Herengracht canal or the private courtyard garden, and feature a wealth of modern amenities and thoughtful touches to make the guest stay memorable.
Guests can dine in style in our sophisticated 2-Michelin star fine dining restaurant Spectrum, or in our Goldfinch Brasserie, where you can savour exquisite international cuisine.
The wonderful, luxurious and relaxing Guerlain Spa can be found on the ground floor. This is the first spa in collaboration with Guerlain in the Benelux region.
All these outlets and more are staffed with amazing people who are always looking for new vibrant minds to strengthen the team and together provide the True Waldorf Service.
As a Kitchen Trainee for Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam you will be responsible for ensuring consistent quality of customer service is provided to the guests in accordance with the Waldorf Astoria True Service Standards.
To provide guests with a memorable stay experience that is personalized to their needs, throughout their stay at the hotel by ensuring that the team is responding efficiently to their enquiries and advising them of the amenities and benefits offered by the hotel.
Supports team members on a daily basis with any queries and issues that may arise, engages with them to ensure well-being and satisfaction. Has the responsibility to assist the management to drive and deliver positive results.
- Prepares all food items according to standard recipes or, as otherwise specified by supervisor, to ensure consistency of product to the guest; requires transportation of heavy food products.
- Checks and controls the proper storage of product, especially on all fresh produce, checking on portion control, to maintain quality product.
- Keeps all refrigeration, storage, and working areas clean, working condition in order to comply with Health Department regulations.
- Ensures that all equipment in working areas is clean and in proper working condition to comply with Health Department regulations.
- Visually inspects, selects and uses only the freshest fruits, vegetables, meats and other food products of the highest standard in the preparation of all menu items. Reads and employs math skills for following recipes. Prepares requisition for supplies and food items for production in workstation.
- Support the operational departments. When needed, anticipate their needs.
- Think out of the box, see difficulties as challenges and find solutions, try to find an innovative and different way to present something, so the other team members as well as the guests will be impressed, come up with new ideas.
- Participate in large projects in the kitchen.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company.
- Performs any general cleaning tasks using standard hotel cleaning products as assigned by supervisor
- Performs other duties as requested, such as moving supplies and equipment, cleaning up unexpected spills.
- Update HACCP files allocated
Specific job knowledge, skill and ability
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Good working knowledge of the fundamentals of the broiler, sauté, fry, roast, moist heat and other cooking methods.
- Good working knowledge of accepted standards of sanitation
- Knowledge of operating all kitchen equipment, i.e., stoves, ovens, broilers, steamers, kettles, etc.
- Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements, requisition amounts and portion sizes.
- Ability to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods.
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing, with guests and employees, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, and diplomacy to defuse anger and to collect accurate information and to resolve problems.
- Sufficient manual dexterity of hand in order to use all kitchen equipment, i.e., knives, spoons, spatulas, tongs, slices, etc.
- Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry, or otherwise, move goods weighing a maximum of 100 lbs. on continuous schedule.
- Ability to stand and to work continuously in confined spaces.
- Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges.